Sunday, July 23rd

Owners of vacation homes, such as those near Lake Arbutus or ATV trails, often seek to rent their homes out to visitors to offset the houses’ costs. They can do that in Jackson County, provided that they have a county lodging permit and a conditional use permit from the county.

“A lot of people when they are not using their cabin like to rent them out to earn a little extra income. That becomes a business and you need to have a license to do that and you need to have proper zoning, not only for health issues, but liability issues,” Susie West said, the sanitarian for Jackson County Department of Health and Human Services.

Wisconsin State Code requires a lodging license if sleeping accommodations are offered for pay to tourists or travelers for a short period of time for vacation, business or employment.